"I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality."


James Joyce, on Ulysses



Monday, May 9, 2011

The Jungle

I started this sister-blog with such high hopes, plenty of gusto in my wings, ready to take the literary world by storm! And here I am, almost exactly 6 months later, and only one post to show for it.

Oops.

And I can't blame it on not having read anything. Because I have been reading all that time. I just never got around to telling you about it.

But now I'm here, sitting cross-legged in my big yellow saucer chair, and wearing my librarian reading glasses, so you know I'm really serious. This is take two for the reading blog. Cross your fingers and toes that it works better this time!



You know those classic books that you always hear about or see mentioned in different places? And you think, "Hm, I should really read that some time," every time you see it. And you know it's a "classic" (whatever that means) and it's had some huge impact on literature and the world? But you just never get around to it? Well let me tell you a little secret: they're usually some of the best books you'll ever read. Turns out the great literary canon gods know what they're doing after all.

We've had The Jungle by Upton Sinclair laying around the house for a couple years now. I would see it every few months and think I should give it a try, but I would usually put it off until I was done with my current book, or I would just plain forget. Well, I finally picked it up and read it. And it was really good.

The story of Jurgis Rudkus and his family--Lithuanian immigrants to the US in the early 1900s--is heart-wrenching and downright painful to read at times. Pretty much everything bad that could happen to a person happens to Jurgis, and then happens again a few times. Sinclair's main purpose in writing the novel was reportedly to expose the deplorable conditions in which immigrants lived and worked, and how horribly they were taken advantage of by the wealthy businessmen who monopolized the country's power and money. Hence Jurgis's terrible bad luck throughout the story. He is the entire immigrant population embodied in one cursed man. Lemony Snicket could learn a thing or two from Sinclair.

Of course, Sinclair failed in this agenda, and what really stood out to the American public were his detailed descriptions of what exactly was going into the food they ate. Diseased animals, body parts that would be deemed inedible by most dogs, and even the occasional unfortunate worker who fell into a vat of something or other and drowned, never to be recovered. These descriptions ended up making The Jungle one of the first American novels to really cause a political reaction. President Theodore Roosevelt (who apparently didn't like Sinclair and thought he was lying through his teeth regarding most of the things he wrote about) felt compelled by the public outcry to look into the situation. What the Labor Commissioner found revolted him, and led to the eventual passing of The Meat Inspection Act and the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906--which led to the development of the modern FDA.

While I am grateful that all of this took place (I don't really want to be eating tubercular cows on a daily basis), I do find it ironic that this was the effect Sinclair's novel had on the publice. A novel that was supposed to be about realizing the greed and corruption of the head honchos of the meat packing industry, and the dire conditions being forced on the poorest and most vulnerable Americans, ended up appealing to the general public's own personal best interests. They could care less about the struggling immigrant class; they just wanted to make sure they're own meat was clean.

Maybe it's easier for me, as a modern reader to not be as phased by the, admittedly, disgusting food issues outlined in the novel and focus on Jurgis and his lot in life. I know (or think I know) that my food is much safer and purer than what Sinclair describes. And so I do feel Sinclair's outrage at the treatment of Jurgis and his immigrant friends. However, I will admit that I have second thoughts now, every time I eat something that didn't come from my dad's garden!



Coming up next: Laura rereads The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman. I guess I'm just on an old-school literature kick lately. Until next time, Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment